Try the following suggestions to increase your daily intake of news feeds.
- Surf the latest headlines from all over the world. Results are based on google search rankings, the larger the font –> the more hits in google, I recall. Headlines link to an array of news organizations.
- Aggregate a few headlines from, say, cbc.ca/rss in your own blog sidebar.
- Create your own online newsreader at bloglines.com or google reader.
Add your own suggested news feeds or feed aggregators in a comment or trackback here.
CBC RSS feeds. Browse the many RSS feed categories. Select at least one to be added to your blog’s sidebar.
- Copy(right-click or control-click) a feed url from CBC RSS feeds.
- Go to Dashboard–>Presentation–>Sidebar Widgets–>Add RSS widgets.
- Drag RSS widget to your sidebar.
- Paste the url into the RSS widget.
- Save and view site.
To construct your Personal Universe Lexicon, start with a new post. You may wish to construct the list with pen and paper first and transfer it to your blog later. Begin by following these instructions:
Write down as many words as you can then sort the words into the categories outlined below. Complete each category. Write as quickly as you can.
- 16 words of each of the five senses (16 x 5 = 80 words). The words must mean, suggest: taste touch, sight, smell, and hearing. For instance, desiccated or frozen might suggest touch to you, or birdsong hearing.
- 10 words of motion. The words must mean, suggest motion to you. They do not necessarily need to be verbs. Baby could be a motion word for someone, for example.
- 3 abstractions. Such as love or freedom or truth.
- 7 anything else. Any word with meaning to you that does not fit into the other categories.
All the words on the list must
- have significance to/for you
- be specific; that is the word must not be “bird” but “robin,” not “tree” but “aspen.”
- sound good to the ear.
Use no adverbs. Use no plurals.
Keep track of the words with your blog. Move them around each other in the list every day for a week. Choose one word at random from the list; write what the word(s) sparks, what the juxtaposition of words builds for you.
Trackback/pinkback your list to this post.
Write a page(not a post). Title it Sitemap.
You’ll find the code here that you’ll need to paste into your page.
Enter Sitemap as the Page Slug.
Disable Comments and Pings.
Go to Dashboard–>Options–>DDSitemapGen.
Enter the same Slug, update.
Add the link to the sitemap via your theme’s menu or sidebar or add a Pages widget.